Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's in my bag today...pictures

Ever since I got my first camera I've been really into pictures.  It was such a big deal to me, to drop off that roll of film and wait three or four days for the film to be developed.  I remember going into the store a couple of times to see if they were ready yet.  There was an anticipation as I opened the envelope to see the pictures.  Would they be really great?  Would there be weird fuzzy ones?  I always ordered doubles and it was pretty disappointing when you had a bunch of crappy photo's and their doubles.  Now it's different, but there was a similar excitement when I got my first digital camera.  My sisters and I all love to take pictures, and I would guess between us all we have taken 40,000 photos.  We've probably over photographed ourselves.  The numbers really jumped when I had my first daughter, and now there are two more little faces to snap(including my niece).  I hope that one day my old self and my old husband and grown children will enjoy the photographic legacy that I am building.

Since having my kids I have entered a whole different world of photography, the portrait studio.  It strikes terror into the hearts of moms everywhere.  There is almost nothing that can take you down like bringing your kids to get their pictures taken.  There is an enormous amount of pressure to get that one perfect shot of your little ones.  I have found myself at JcPenneys, sweating, mentally cursing, begging and bribing my child, for that one little smile.  Now I have two kids and I have not done their pictures together yet.  I am dreading it!  I'm waiting until my little one can at least sit up on her own, because there is no way my three year old can sit still and hold her.  I want the classic record of my two babies in their matching dresses so bad I can taste it, but I know the timing has to be perfect.  There is almost a science to it.  I have to go exactly when "the stars are aligned".  For example, it has to be either before my older one naps, and after my younger one has been fed, but before she gets tired.  They both have to have baths the night before, they have to be dressed at the studio, so their dresses aren't all wrinkled.  The same for the hair, it has to be fixed at the studio.  It's a nerve wracking ordeal. BUT, to me it's all worth it when you hand out those little photos to your friends and family and hear all the ooh's and ahh's.  When I look at the framed photo's on the book shelf I can forget all the trauma and just revel in the cuteness.  For some moms it's not worth it and they don't even bother, but I'll never stop going unless I have a psychotic break during a session.  Which is plausible.  One day I'll attempt the family portrait, and bring my husband in on the torture!!!  Ha, Ha, can't wait!

As for my dinner experiment, I've been doing well.  I did make the Manhattan clam chowder, but unfortunately my husband would not eat it.  He said it smelled "fishy" (duh).  He has a thing about the smell of fish.  He doesn't like me to cook it, but I really didn't think this soup would have the same affect.  I mean, he eats regular clam chowder!  So I told him to make himself a Hot Pocket, and I've been eating the soup for lunch all week.  I have to say it's really good.  I threw in a handful of baby scallops too.  Next up is the asparagus and goat cheese frittata, I'll let you know how it goes...
http://www.allyou.com/food/one-list-five-meals/cheap-family-meals-00411000071237/page3.html

If you have any portrait studio stories please leave a comment and share them.  Also if you've been inspired to try some new recipes yourself, let us know how it went.  I need to know that I'm not the only one out there having these experiences!

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear how the frittata comes out! You have really hit several cultures with your cooking the last week or two. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to photograph your family all together some spring day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contact me on my e-mail and we can talk about it: ferrararachel@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete