Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's in my bag today...hash browns??

So last Friday, I finally made the asparagus and goat cheese frittata.  http://search.allyou.com/ay-results.html?Ntt=asparagus+and+goat+cheese+frittata  It came pretty good, but I think I cooked it a little too long on the stove top and not quite enough in the broiler.  So that one will go into the roster, especially when we're having eggs because it's fancier than scrambled!  I decided to do hash browns with it as a side dish totally forgetting that I've tried hash browns before...


As you can see they turned into a gooey gray mess!!  We even googled hash browns during the cooking process and I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong (and yes we did eat them)! They're just shredded potato, who knew it could be so complicated! I also tried a couple of quick dishes (no recipe, just threw together things I already had).

I had a jar of light Alfredo sauce, and some frozen shrimp, so I tossed them with pasta and broccoli.

This was baked chicken breast, potatoes, and roasted tomatoes.  I brushed the chicken with Grey Poupon, and then dipped them in the bread crumbs.  It gives it a subtle flavor without adding extra fat. 

So please if you have any suggestions or tips regarding my hash browns leave a comment.  This week I didn't plan ahead because I did my shopping at BJ's.  I'm trying to use things I already have, I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

  1. You ready for my secret to fantastic hash browns? Simply potatoes. Yes - the ones in the green bag. I'm requested to make them anytime my family does brunch. Here is what to do with them: EVOO in the pan - the SP - an onion grated into the pan, montreal steak seasoning & rosemary. Fresh is great, but most of the time I use the Pampered Chef's Rosemary blend. We like them well done so I brown them for awhile. Yes, its a Rachael Ray recipe - oldie - the Open House cookbook. As good a cook as I am - I have major potato issues too. I avoid making mashed potatoes - mine aren't that good - I leave them to other family members at holiday time. Diced - baked, other things...I can do!

    ReplyDelete