Thursday, March 3, 2011

What's in my bag today...Fear

So on this second day of my blog, I've been thinking a lot about fear and how it's been holding me back.  I've been afraid for a long time to do this blog and now that I've taken the first step, I see it's not a big deal.  I used to be a very creative person.  In my teens I was really into painting and drawing.  I wouldn't say I was really good, but I wasn't really bad either.  I feel like as I've gotten older and had more responsibility I've stopped being creative and let fear block my way. 
In regards to my cooking, I've been afraid of using fat and that's really limited me.  It's not fair to my husband and daughter (who do not need to watch their weight) to always be cooking grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies.  These meals are so boring and dinner is something you want to look forward to.  I have decided not to let the fear of fat hold me back anymore.  I am trying two new recipes each week and I am not only cooking light fare.  So far I have tried crock pot curry chicken, crock pot chicken and dumplings, tomato basil pasta nests (there's a story to that one I'll touch on later) pesto eggs and rice pudding(the pudding was good, but I cooked it too long and it was more of a solid).   Tonight I am trying steak and roasted mushrooms.  I have also been afraid to try many seasonings.  Growing up, my mom only used basics, salt, pepper, garlic, onion etc.  So with the help of my good friend, I am branching out and trying recipes with seasonings and things I haven't tried before.  I will keep you posted on my cooking progress.  As for the pasta nests, (you're supposed to twirl the angel hair around a fork and serve it on a plate like a nest) they came out like pasta snarls.  Apparently I didn't use a big enough pot or enough water.  Lesson learned.  The recipe also made way too much for two adults and a toddler.  I took a cue from my friend and made a note right in the cookbook next to the recipe to halve it.
 That is my resolve, friends, to conquer fear in my life and try new things.  Who cares if I fail?  Only me and I can get over it.  No one is going to wag a finger in my face if I fail but me, and I'm not scared of myself.  Although my husband might say something if our dinner really sucks.  But I'm not afraid of him either!  lol  So do that thing you've been afraid to try and enjoy that fact that you did it even if you fail.

4 comments:

  1. You're doing a fantastic job already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so proud of you to do what you have wanted to do. As you know i am a stay at home mom also. Alexis is almost 5 yrs old and Jorden will be 2 in May. I know how stressfull it gets i wish you the best of luck with your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to allowing fear hold me back in life. If you let it get the little things (like a passion for writing or cooking) then the big things don't have a chance. Maybe you could attatch photos of the recipes you try out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fear - one of the biggest hurdles to conquer! I am so proud that you are taking the plunge in so many arenas of your life! I am so excited that you are sharing your wisdom & heart via this blog. You have blessed me for years - now you have the opportunity to bless so many :-)

    ReplyDelete